LOCATION: Bronx, NY
REPORTS TO: Program Director, NY
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Per Scholas is seeking a high energy, team oriented Senior Manager, Career Advancement to lead the execution of the goals of our Career Advancement Program to:
- Train students in essential soft skills for landing a technology job and advancing in a career, including developing collateral including resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles
- Provide real-time financial support strategies to help students and alumni build or grow their financial stability
- Coach students for two years post graduation to achieve financial goals, certification goals, and career advancement goals
The Senior Manager is the primary point person between the Career Advancement team, students, and alumni overseeing Per Scholas career coaches and financial coaches at both the Bronx and Brooklyn locations. The Senior Manager will be responsible for ensuring day to day program activities are conducted for all classes in both the Brooklyn and the Bronx. The Senior Manager will work closely with the Program Director and other cross team Directors and Senior Managers to bring an innovative and forward thinking approach to career development and advancement services for our students and alumni.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Course Production and Cycle Management
- Oversee course production from class kick-off to graduation for all classes, ensuring all programs provide an exceptional experience for all students
- Manage weekly progress for all current program cycles, ensuring that courses are being delivered as scheduled and according to the curriculum, and that all teams are made aware of major class milestones or changes for coordination purposes
- Regularly collaborate and meet with Managers of Business Solutions, Technical Instruction, Quality Assurance, Admissions to monitor program performance and to make programmatic and process changes as needed basis
- Use Salesforce and additional data sources to make data driven program decisions within the team and across the program
Career Development, Financial Support Strategies and Alumni Programming
- Design, develop and lead the implementation of our career development strategy to better prepare students for entry- to mid-level careers in IT. Training topics include but are not limited to: interviewing skills, resume and cover letter creation, LinkedIn profiles, job search and networking strategies, customer service training, workplace success strategies, career advancement training, business communications, and financial support strategies
- Connect our career development strategy with that of our program requirements and the business development/solutions strategy
- Provide students with ongoing individual career counseling and employment preparation coaching
- As needed, facilitate remediation workshops and individual coaching sessions with students to provide customized solutions for students based on the needs of each class or the specific student
- Align with the Corporate Engagement team to better inform and support employer events for students, and provide recommendations for future events and guest speakers
- Collaborate with the Senior Manager of Youth and Support Services to connect students to case management assistance, make referrals to outside partners, and develop outside community partnerships where necessary
- Work with Financial Coaches to implement cycle specific Financial Support Strategies sessions and subsequent one-on-one student meetings, free tax prep workshops and post graduation financial coaching services
- Grow Per Scholas alumni programming and outreach efforts with a focus on on-going career and financial coaching for two years post graduation
- Directly supervise Career Advancement team: Career Coaches and Financial Coaches
- Regularly observe and coach team and provide customized and constructive feedback to grow staff in their roles
- Provide professional development for staff
- Perform day to day responsibilities of staff on an as-needed basis
- Advocate for team needs, working collaboratively across other Per Scholas teams, and negotiating where when necessary
- Engage in regular and frequent performance and goal setting dialogue with individual staff, as well as mid-year and end of year formal reviews
- Ensure that staff and the team are on-track to meet or exceed program goals, using Salesforce reports and dashboards to monitor performance
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO US
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years’ professional experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, including at least:
- 2 to 3 years’ experience in career and job development with specific experience with job readiness/workplace skills training such as: interviewing skills, resume and cover letter creation, LinkedIn profiles, job search and networking strategies, customer service training, workplace success strategies, career advancement training, and business communications
- 2 to 3 years motivating staff and building capacity in people in a management or supervisory role
- 1 to 2 years experience in the tech industry
- Excellent writing and editing skills, especially related to employment correspondence
- High proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Google Applications
- Data-driven, analytical and a familiarity with Salesforce or similar data system preferred
- Excellent presentation skills and comfortable speaking to small and large groups
- Experience in training adults (age 18+)
- Demonstrated experience in classroom training and understanding principles of classroom management and diversity
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Experience in executive coaching, life coaching, employee coaching, organizational training & development, learning & development, or financial literacy a plus
- Ability to work occasional evenings
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work and mission.
- You are data-driven, result-oriented and a forward-looking catalyst for social change.
- You have a collaborative and flexible work style. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and independently.
- You are assertive and discerning, and can making tough and often speedy decisions on behalf of students and the team.
- You are an effective communicator with strong oral and written skills.
- You are tech savvy and can learn quickly.
- You are solutions and process oriented with strong project management skills.
- You are strong at managing your time and you can balance multiple projects and tasks.
- You understand the technology workforce and can model our experience to the actual day to day of the relevant roles
- You are highly organized and detail-oriented with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects.
- You stand behind our mission, believing that individuals from any community should be able access well-paying career positions, and that talent should be recognized and recruited from many diverse sources.
WHY WORK HERE?
We believe our staff is the heart and soul of the organization. Our workplace culture is challenging, supportive, collaborative and mission-driven. We take a genuine interest in career paths and work-life balance, and take contributing ideas from staff at all levels. Working at Per Scholas means working somewhere full of engaging, savvy, diverse people who care deeply about pushing our work forward.
You’ll enjoy a welcoming and professional environment, self-development opportunities, innovative technology, and benefits such as health care and a 401K match. If you want to work in a progressive organization, where you can build something meaningful and have fun while doing it, we would love to hear from you.
ABOUT PER SCHOLAS:
Per Scholas is a national nonprofit that drives positive and proven social change in communities across the country. Through rigorous and tuition-free technology training and professional development, we prepare motivated and curious adults who are unemployed or underemployed for successful careers as IT professionals, and we create on-ramps to businesses in need of their talents. Today we provide our solutions in six cities across the country: Atlanta, GA; Greater Cincinnati, OH; Columbus, OH; Dallas, TX; the National Capital Region; and New York. To date, Per Scholas has trained 6,000 individuals, helping them build lasting, life changing skills and careers in technology.
If you have any questions about this role, please feel free to email Suzanne McShane, Talent Acquisition Specialist at email@example.com. We look forward to viewing your application!
Learn more at perscholas.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. See our full EEO statement here.