LOCATION: Silver Spring, MD
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Program
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Per Scholas seeks a dynamic, team-oriented Senior Manager, Technical Instruction — Cyber Operations to ensure Per Scholas students are equipped for success in entry and mid-level tech skills.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Using a structured and approved curriculum, conduct technical training to prepare students for entry to mid-level jobs in the field of Cyber Security. Class sizes range from 15-24 students.
- Facilitate in a highly interactive, hands-on style. The Per Scholas curriculum calls for a maximum of 1.5 hours of lecture in a 6-hour teaching day.
- Utilize Cisco Netacad for assignments, tests, and real-time performance monitoring.
- Manage and appropriately utilize a Teaching Assistant (If applicable).
Managing Student Performance
- Provide students with ongoing feedback, conferencing, and performance appraisals. Recognize any challenges early and work with the team and students to overcome them.
- Prepare student evaluations individually and in conjunction with the team.
- Participate in all required student progress meetings with other members of the team.
- Monitor and hold students accountable to the Per Scholas enrollment agreement.
- Ensure classes achieve at least a 90% pass rate on all certification exams.
Curriculum and Lab
- Provide input on tech curriculum and labs in any changes needed to keep content current and relevant, creating additional labs, if required.
- Prepare computers/servers hardware before each class start, reinstall any necessary software, and inventory all hardware.
- Participate in all team meetings.
- Conduct real-time student data entry in Salesforce.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO US:
- Two+ years working in the IT Field; and one+ year of teaching experience required.
- Cisco Certified Academy Instructor (CCAI) preferred, but Per Scholas will sponsor the right candidate. Industry security certifications a plus.
- Must have excellent knowledge of Windows and Linux Operating Systems.
- Must be proficient in TCP/IP suite including but not limited to IP/TCP/UDP/ARP/DNS/DHCP/HTTP.
- Experience using security monitoring tools, Cisco Routers, Switches, ASA’s preferred
- Must have passed or be willing to take and pass the CCNA Cyber OPS Exam and relevant training in order to teach the class.
- Programming experience, mainly with Python is preferred.
- Ability to teach in a highly interactive and hands-on style, and to analyze and synthesize technical information.
- Commitment to the mission of Per Scholas and a passion for teaching others.
- Ability to commit to individual performance goals on certification and placement.
- Flexibility to adapt to continuous changes in curriculum to stay current in industry.
- Interest in being part of a culture of continuous improvement.
- Team oriented, highly responsive communicator, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work and mission.
- You are data-driven, result-oriented and a forward-looking catalyst for social change.
- You have a collaborative and flexible work style. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and independently.
- You are an effective communicator with strong oral and written skills.
- You are tech savvy and can learn quickly.
- You are strong at managing your time and you can balance multiple projects and tasks.
- You are detail oriented, with exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- You stand behind our mission, believing that individuals from any community should have access to well-paying career positions, and that talent should be recognized and recruited from many diverse sources.
WHY WORK HERE?
We believe our staff is the heart and soul of the organization. Our workplace culture is challenging, supportive, collaborative and mission-driven. We take a genuine interest in career paths and work-life balance, and welcome contributing ideas from staff at all levels. Working at Per Scholas means working somewhere full of engaging, savvy, diverse people who care deeply about pushing our work forward.
You’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual professional environment, self-development opportunities, innovative technology, and benefits like health care and a 401K match. If you want to work in a progressive organization, where you can build something meaningful and have fun while doing it, we would love to hear from you.
ABOUT PER SCHOLAS:
Per Scholas is a national nonprofit that drives positive and proven social change in communities across the country. Through rigorous and tuition-free technology training and professional development, we prepare motivated and curious adults who are unemployed or underemployed for successful careers as IT professionals, and we create on-ramps to businesses in need of their talents. Today we provide our solutions in six cities across the country: Atlanta, GA; Greater Cincinnati, OH; Columbus, OH; Dallas, TX; the National Capital Region; and New York. To date, Per Scholas has trained over 7,000 individuals, helping them build lasting, life-changing skills and careers in technology.
Platform by Per Scholas, a new series of customized training tracks that put students in direct hiring pipelines with major technology employers, is an extension of the Per Scholas workforce development model. Platform students receive free hands-on training, career development resources and interview opportunities with technology employers to help take their career to the next level.
If you have any questions about this role, please feel free to email our Talent team at email@example.com. We look forward to viewing your application!
Learn more at perscholas.org and platformbyps.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. See our full EEO statement here.