WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Per Scholas is seeking an enthusiastic, mission-driven, expert Financial Coach to work with students in all aspects of our financial education services at our Brooklyn location. The goals of our Financial Security Strategies program are to:
- Teach students sound financial management
- Intervene and assist students in resolving financial issues that require immediate action
- Provide financial security tools and resources to develop the skills necessary to make informed financial decisions and achieve long-term economic stability
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Conduct structured Financial Capability Workshops for all Per Scholas classes
- Offer one-on-one coaching sessions with each student at our Brooklyn location, both pre- and post graduation
- Assist students with a range of financial security supports including but not limited to: establishing or repairing credit, obtaining and understanding credit reports, managing student loans and developing debt repayment plans, effectively communicating and negotiating with creditors and collection agencies
- Teach students about opening bank accounts, reducing transaction costs, connecting to affordable mainstream financial services, avoiding financial scams and predatory lenders, and creating weekly and monthly budgets and other asset building strategies
- Develop and implement appropriate revisions to the Per Scholas Financial Security Strategies program as needed as well as introducing new curriculum and service offerings
- Work closely with graduates on their financial goals for up to 2 years post graduation
- Coordinate with the Bronx Financial Literacy Coach to conduct student workshops
- Provide VITA tax preparation services to Per Scholas students and graduates
- Partner with the Career Advancement and Youth and Support Services teams to provide students with benefits enrollment, and referrals to outside organizations for additional assistance
- Develop and organize a comprehensive an on-site resource center with articles, tip sheets, worksheets, and other information to better inform our students
- Build and support partnerships with community-based organizations and government agencies, to enable credible referrals for bankruptcies, starting a small business, foreclosure prevention, legal assistance, and other financial related issues
- Track student progress and complete weekly reports based on student meetings and critical financial indicators, while ensuring the privacy, confidentiality and data security of all students
- Create, analyze and present regular progress reports, to supervisors, partners, funders
- Participate in local and national events, forums and conferences related to financial education
- Provide one-on-one Financial Literacy Coaching for members of the Per Scholas staff, as needed
- Stay current on developments in the financial education field
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO US
- A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent relevant experience) and a minimum of 3-5 years experience in finance, financial education and counseling/coaching
- Experience delivering financial literacy/strategy education to low-income clients preferred
- Experience in organizational training & development or learning & development preferred
- Demonstrated experience in classroom training and understanding principles of classroom management and diversity
- Experience training adults (18+) a plus
- Knowledge of workforce development a plus
- Successful completion of the “Consumer and Personal Finance” course offered at the City University of New York (CUNY), or other comparable course, before conducting Financial Coaching preferred
- Excellent public speaking, presentation, and written communications skills
- Experience measuring, reporting, and communicating program results
- Ability to collaborate with partnering organizations to help Per Scholas and our partners meet joint goals
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Suite; Salesforce and Change Machine experience a plus
- You have a strong passion for helping individuals in often overlooked communities become financially stable
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work and mission.
- You are data-driven, result-oriented and a forward-looking catalyst for social change.
- You are tech savvy and can learn new tools quickly.
- You have a collaborative and flexible work style. You’re excited to work as part of a team, cross-functionally with other departments, and independently.
- You have excellent attention to detail, are strong at managing your time, and you can balance multiple projects and tasks.
- You are enthusiastic, energetic and outgoing
- You stand behind our mission, believing that individuals from any community should have access to well-paying career positions, and that talent should be recognized and recruited from many diverse sources.
WHY WORK HERE?
We believe our staff is the heart and soul of the organization. Our workplace culture is challenging, supportive, collaborative and mission-driven. We take a genuine interest in career paths and work-life balance and welcome contributing ideas from staff at all levels. Working at Per Scholas means working somewhere full of engaging, savvy, diverse people who care deeply about pushing our work forward.
You’ll enjoy a welcoming and professional environment, self-development opportunities, innovative technology, and benefits such as healthcare and a 401K match. If you want to work in a progressive organization, where you can build something meaningful and have fun while doing it, we would love to hear from you.
ABOUT PER SCHOLAS:
Per Scholas is a national nonprofit that drives positive and proven social change in communities across the country. Through rigorous and tuition-free technology training and professional development, we prepare motivated and curious adults who are unemployed or underemployed for successful careers as IT professionals, and we create on-ramps to businesses in need of their talents. Today we provide our solutions in six cities across the country: Atlanta, GA; Greater Cincinnati, OH; Columbus, OH; Dallas, TX; the National Capital Region; and New York. To date, Per Scholas has trained more than 7,000 individuals, helping them build lasting, life-changing skills and careers in technology.
If you have any questions about this role, please feel free to email our talent team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to viewing your application!
Learn more at perscholas.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. See our full EEO statement here.