Location: Newark, NJ
Reports to: Senior Manager, Career Advancement
Per Scholas is pleased to partner with the Newark community to launch our eighth national site that will provide our rigorous technology skills training and professional development to motivated and curious individuals in Newark who are unemployed or underemployed. We are looking for a Manager, Employer Partnerships to support a successful launch in Newark in the first quarter of 2019.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Per Scholas is seeking a Manager, Career Advancement (Career Coach) to train students in essential skills for beginning and advancing in their careers in technology. You will assist students in building their resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles. You will also coach students for two years post graduation to set and meet career advancement goals.
The Manager, Career Advancement will report to the Senior Manager, Career Advancement and will work closely across teams at Per Scholas to bring an innovative and forward-thinking approach to career development and advancement services for our students and alumni.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Curriculum & Workshop Facilitation
- Using a structured and approved curriculum, conduct regular comprehensive sessions of career development training to prepare students for entry to mid-level jobs in the field of Information Technology. Training topics include but are not limited to: interviewing skills, resume and cover letter creation, LinkedIn profiles, job search and networking strategies, customer service training, workplace success strategies, career advancement training, and business communications
- As needed, facilitate remediation workshops and individual coaching sessions with students who need additional support outside of the classroom
- Support with the creation of supplementary materials and curriculum to better meet student and employer training needs
- Conduct New Hire and Post-Hire workshops and support sessions for employed graduates
- Facilitate new cycle and class kick-off events, helping to onboard Per Scholas students
Managing Student Performance
- Function as the first point of contact with student questions and issues
- Provide students with ongoing individual career counseling and employment preparation coaching
- Prepare student evaluations individually and in conjunction with the technical instructor
- Participate in all required cross-functional student progress meetings with other teams, including technical instructors, financial coaches, navigators (social workers) and the employer partnerships’ team
- Ensure quality and timely uploading of student resumes to the Per Scholas Career Portal
- Monitor and enforce student class attendance and performance requirements, issuing probationary letters and dismissing students who do not meet program requirements
- Monitor and enforce all program policies to ensure compliance
- Make necessary referrals to Per Scholas financial coaches or navigators to support additional services and partner referrals outside of the classroom
- Accompany students to corporate engagement site visits, mock interviews, networking events and lunch and learns with Per Scholas employer partners
Alumni Advancement Coaching
- Working closely with the Employer Partnerships’ team, providing assistance and ongoing support to new graduates in their job search activities
- For two years post-graduation, provide monthly and quarterly follow-up and advancement services to both employed and unemployed alumni, based on their specific needs
- Connect program graduates with the resources necessary for them to maintain employment and advance in their careers
- Manage to process and outcome performance goals
- Conduct real-time student data entry in Salesforce
- Work with Senior Manager, Career Advancement and other Managers of Career Advancement to propose and implement process changes that better support Per Scholas students and Alumni
- Participate in cross-functional team projects and initiatives on an on-going and voluntary basis
- Contribute to the development and implementation of new Per Scholas initiatives for current students and alumni
- Support Per Scholas Regional Leadership team in selecting students and alumni for funder panels and public speaking opportunities
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience required
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in career and job development with specific experience with job readiness/life skills training
- Experience in talent acquisition, organizational development or adult learning in the tech sector a plus
- Deep knowledge of best practices in resume and cover letter preparation, interviewing skills, and job search activities
- Demonstrated experience in classroom training and understanding principles of classroom
- Deep experience working in or understanding of unique local community context strongly preferred
- Google Apps and Salesforce experience a plus
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work and mission
- You are not afraid to make tough decisions or have tough conversations with students
- You are data-driven, result-oriented and a forward-looking catalyst for social change
- You have a collaborative and flexible work style. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and independently
- You are an effective communicator with strong oral and written skills
- You are tech savvy and can learn fast
- You are strong at managing your time and you can balance multiple projects and tasks
- You stand behind our mission, believing that individuals from any community should be able to have access to well-paying careers, and that talent should be recognized and recruited from many diverse sources
WHY WORK HERE?
We believe our staff is the heart and soul of the organization. Our workplace culture is challenging, supportive, collaborative and mission-driven. We take a genuine interest in career paths and work-life balance, and welcome contributing ideas from staff at all levels. Working at Per Scholas means working somewhere full of engaging, savvy, diverse people who care deeply about pushing our work forward.
You’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual professional environment, self-development opportunities, innovative technology, and benefits like health care and a 401K match. If you want to work in a progressive organization, where you can build something meaningful and have fun while doing it, we would love to hear from you.
ABOUT PER SCHOLAS
Per Scholas is a national nonprofit that drives positive and proven social change in communities across the country. Through rigorous and tuition-free technology training and professional development, we prepare motivated and curious adults who are unemployed or underemployed for successful careers as IT professionals, and we create on-ramps to businesses in need of their talents. Today we provide our solutions in six cities across the country: Atlanta, GA; Greater Cincinnati, OH; Columbus, OH; Dallas, TX; the National Capital Region; and New York. To date, Per Scholas has trained over 7,500 individuals, helping them build lasting, life-changing skills and careers in technology.
If you have any questions about this role, please feel free to email our Talent team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to viewing your application!
Learn more at perscholas.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. See our full EEO statement here.