LOCATION: Boston, MA
REPORTS TO: Managing Director, Boston
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Per Scholas seeks a dynamic, team-oriented IT, Technical Instructor to ensure Per Scholas students are equipped for success in entry and mid-level tech skills.
The Technical Instructor will deliver Per Scholas’ structured and approved curriculum in full-time technical training to prepare students for entry-level information technology jobs.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Deliver classroom training in a highly interactive style to prepare students for entry-level to mid-level careers in Information Technology
- Daily instruction, assessment administration, attendance, one-on-one tutoring, evaluation, and monitoring of individual student progress
- Manage student behavior, monitor and enforce student class attendance, dress code, and other program policies in a consistent manner
- Work in collaboration with the Senior Director, Program Development and Design to identify and continually evaluate and evolve the curriculum as new technologies become available
- Work closely with the Program team to identify student needs, provide necessary support, establish individualized plans for student achievement, and participate in regular student status meetings
- Maintain and update Salesforce with student grades, certification, scores, and progress notes
- Provide students with insight into career tracks within the field and advise on career opportunities and types of positions that would be commensurate with their skills and credentials
- Work with the Employer Relationships team to recommend students for particular employment opportunities.
- Create, submit, and maintain training curricula for approval and files
- Work closely with staff in other sites to ensure the integrity of implementing the model
- Order books, materials, vouchers for exams in advance of training
- Participate in extracurricular activities such as social activities, employer visits, and professional events as directed.
- Perform all other related work delegated or required to accomplish the objectives of the total school program.
- Knowledge and implementation of relevant technology.
- Meet professional teacher education requirements of school and state.
- Participate in appropriate professional activities and development.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO US
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline (or equivalent practical experience) plus a minimum of 2 years’ IT work experience.
- At least 1 year of teaching experience preferred
- Experience with curriculum, syllabus development and lesson planning a plus
- Experience in workforce development a plus
- Experience with methods and strategies to explain and clarify complex topics to students with diverse experiences and educational backgrounds
- Ability to connect real-life work scenarios to the teaching environment
- Ability to help students apply professional skills to their delivery and participation in the classroom
- Experience with student assessment; and a talent to continuously evaluate the curriculum to identify what is working and what improvements can be made
- Ability to analyze and synthesize technical information
- Exceptional capacity to learn new technologies quickly and adapt to continuous changes in curriculum to stay current in the industry
- Current A+ certification (901-902 Series)
- Network+ Certification (N10-006 or N10-007) or be willing to obtain within 3 months of hire
- Experience implementing network technologies in business environments with a focus on deployment of TCP/IP suite protocols.
- Advanced knowledge of Windows, Apple, and Linux Operating Systems; this includes both end user and server versions.
- Linux production experience
- Additional Industry certifications are a plus.
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work and mission.
- You are data-driven, result-oriented and a forward-looking catalyst for social change.
- You have a collaborative and flexible work style. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and independently.
- You have a passion for teaching others and being part of a culture of continuous improvement.
- You are an effective communicator with strong oral and written skills.
- You are strong at managing your time and you can balance multiple projects and tasks.
- You stand behind our mission, believing that individuals from any community should have access to well-paying career positions, and that talent should be recognized and recruited from many diverse sources.
WHY WORK HERE?
We believe our staff is the heart and soul of the organization. Our workplace culture is challenging, supportive, collaborative and mission-driven. We take a genuine interest in career paths and work-life balance and take contributing ideas from staff at all levels. Working at Per Scholas means working somewhere full of engaging, savvy, diverse people who care deeply about pushing our work forward.
You’ll enjoy a welcoming and professional environment, self-development opportunities, innovative technology, and benefits such as healthcare and a 401K match. If you want to work in a progressive organization, where you can build something meaningful and have fun while doing it, we would love to hear from you.
ABOUT PER SCHOLAS
Per Scholas is a national nonprofit that drives positive and proven social change in communities across the country. Through rigorous and tuition-free technology training and professional development, we prepare motivated and curious adults who are unemployed or underemployed for successful careers as IT professionals, and we create on-ramps to businesses in need of their talents. Today we provide our solutions in six cities across the country: Atlanta, GA; Greater Cincinnati, OH; Columbus, OH; Dallas, TX; the National Capital Region; and New York. To date, Per Scholas has trained over 8,000 individuals, helping them build lasting, life-changing skills and careers in technology.
If you have any questions about this role, please feel free to email our Talent team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to viewing your application!
Learn more at perscholas.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. See our full EEO statement here.